Sunday, March 28, 2010

Back To Being A Metalhead

As I sit here and stare at this computer, I wonder what my week holds. Will it be less stressful than the previous one? Will I get outdoors? Will I even be alive? Who knows. I don't, but I can tell you that I am going back to being a metalhead! That's right boys and girls a metalhead and I'm not talking about music either.

I have been sitting and listening to people talk about turkey hunting. Right now I can only dream of doing that because my tag isn't good til May. Coyote season is quickly drawing to a close. So I sat and wondered what I was gonna be able to do. Uh yeah hello, go and chase the silver torpedo's, chromers, go steelhead fishing!

I love to be in the stream and hook into these fish. There is something about the way these fish fight with such aggression, that makes me get amped up. It is really hard to explain to someone that has never fished for or caught this species how much fun they are. You are really lucky if you can land over 20%. They will break you mentally. They make you fish in conditions that most sane people would be at home. Then when you finally land that steely, you remember why you fish for these gorgeous fish.
Steelhead are a lake run rainbow trout. They get big and enter the river system in the fall behind the salmon. They stay in the river throughout the winter and spawn in the spring. The longer they are in the system the darker they become. Going from silver to a grey color.

So this week I will make the trek to my favorite river that holds these fish. Taking my metalhead friend Art with me. I will fish all day and most of the night. I will sleep in the truck when we get tired and get back to it when we wake. I will be a bum, a metalhead and enjoy every minute of it. If you have a chance to ever chase these fish do so. If you are fortunate enough to have fished for them, then go get after them again and take someone with you.


So until my next blog, be safe, appreciate what you have and get into the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment