Monday, December 6, 2010

What a season!

So its been another long lapse in time since I sat here typing on my laptop for my blog. Believe me it's not that I haven't wanted to but sometimes you have to try and make hay when you can as the old saying goes. So here I am. Staring at this screen and trying to decide where to begin.

The season has been crazy just like my life has been this past year. Just when you think you have things figured out, another curve ball comes your way. So you just have to roll with it and do the best you can with what you got. For those that have had the chance to be around me you know my saying "I'm doing the best I can with what I got which ain't much but I'm doing it anyway." Funny but true.

I have actually been able to get out this season more than I thought I would. I have spent many days in the deer woods, some in the duck marsh, a few in the goose fields and even was able to get out and smoke a turkey in the spring in my one day of turkey hunting!

I must say that I have definitely learned a lot this year and have had the good fortune of meeting some really great people that have done so much for me. I would like to say thanks to our sponsors PSE, G5, Leupold, Dead Down Wind, Dragonfire ThermoGrip, Mossy Oak, America's Best Bowstrings, LaCrosse, Mike's Magic, Spot Shooter Archery and Joe Segler Wildlife Taxidermy. Without their support and great products the time spent in the field wouldn't be as enjoyable. Knowing that when I got my trophy I had the best taxidermist around to take care of it is incredible. I would also like to say thanks to some of the people that went out of their way to help me this year. My team who have stood by me this year and being there for me to lean on when I needed them. Wendy Williamson who did a ton of behind the scenes work. "Thee Ron Dore" and his family for having me out at Scronnie Acres and the karaoke concerts in the truck. Eric "Sleepy E" and his wife Melissa for having me down to the great state of Indiana and treating me like family. Chris, Casey, Jay and my great friend Mattias for another great hunt and camp that I look forward to every year for many reasons.

So with that being said I wanted to say that I have met some really great kids this years as well. To me that is the best part hanging out and listening to the kids tell their stories. No matter how bad things may be they always put a smile on your face and bring you back to whats fun. So Kile, Jacob, Arron and Kyle thanks for hanging out and sharing your stories and well just reminding me what this is really about.

I was fortunate to hunt some great properties and see some great game this season. I just wish the camera could have gotten them when I could have and vice versa. I still dream about the big 12 point drop tine from Indiana that we couldn't get on camera because he came to the party before we got set up. That's ok I will have that memory for the rest of my life and that is ok with me. Ok you got me, I wish I would have just shot and dropped him like a bad habit! They say it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission right? Who cares that it wouldn't have been on video he would be on my wall! Right Mike?

I have been reminded that I do this because it's fun. Going out and spending the day in the field is a privilege as well as blessing. It's not how big the rack is, how long the beard is or whether it has a band but about how much fun it is and to be able to enjoy it. It's not that your name is mentioned or your in a dvd or video it's about sharing the experience with those in camp or hearing a child tell you their story about the one that they got or the one that got away. It's about shooting some does and being just as excited about them as I am about the big buck. It's all about having fun and if you can't do that then you should probably stop doing it!

The season is still going and there is still a lot of unfinished business to take care of. So remember to just get out and have fun and the rest will fall into place. Nuff Said!

1 comment: